Sunday, October 26, 2008

Barack Obama

Not exactly the best framed photo, but it gives a sense of the rally held today. People were packed from the steps of the capitol building (pictured) to many, many rows in front of me. I took the light rail until the 16th Street Mall and followed the mass to Civic Park. Got in line a little before 9 am and weaved around the Public Library and the Art Museum. Of course, I enjoyed another glimpse of the amazing Denver Public Library.



At 10:00 the gates opened and after going through "airport" security, I was in! I joined the crush of people, but definitely was too late and too short to be able to get a good view. A variety of people spoke to take up time before Obama spoke. New fact learned: Mark Udall has climbed every 14-er in Colorado and is attempting his 55th, the senate seat.

A red bus pulled up behind the stage and the crowd pulled out their cameras and stretched to catch any glimpse. It was after 12 when Obama finally took to the stage, while U2's City of Blinding Lights played. At my height, I had no chance of seeing his entrance and resigned myself to wait until the crowd calmed down.


I was able to glimpse Obama during his speech for seconds at a time, but it was more about the atmosphere that I got to partake in. Never have I been apart of something so energetic and hopefull. Even children, who were complaining while waiting in line, were excited once Obama started his speech.


To give you a better visual of the rally. I am located somewhere close to, but in front of the huge flag.

My excitement continued while I was on my way back to my apartment. The light rail was packed. I love how much Denver-ites and Coloradoans use this great resource.

Back to homework after my fun field trip! I hear its snowing back home and I am glad that I got to enjoy 50 degree weather for the rally. Three weeks left of the quarter and then expect me home for Thanksgiving, courtesy of Amtrak.

Update: I attended the biggest rally so far!

No comments: